On November 21st, 2011 President Obama signed the Veterans Opportunity to Work to Hire Heroes (VOW) Act of 2011 into law. Two tax credits exist with this law. The Returning Heroes Tax Credit and the Wounded Warrior Tax Credit. These can provide up to $9,600 in tax credits. The VOW Act also provides additional assistance to unemployed veterans helping them secure employment through The Veterans Retraining Assistance Program.
Military Transition Programs:
- Hiring our Heroes
- Army ACAP – Employers
- Warrior Transition Command – Federal and civilian employers can access information about having wounded warriors from the Warrior Transition Command’s Employment, Education and Internships website.
- America’s Heroes at Work
- U.S. Department of Labor elaws Advisor updates – DOL site for interactive e-tools that guide employers to specific information on DOL employment laws and regulations.
Understanding the DD Form 214:
Veteran Hiring Guides:
- Guide to Leading Policies, Practices & Resources: Supporting the Employment of Veterans & Military Families – prepared by Institute for Veterans and Military Families, Syracuse University
Work Opportunity Tax Credits for Employers:
- Work Opportunity Tax Credit for Employers
- How to Understand the WOTC: video link
- Employer Guide to the WOTC: Download - WOTC - Employer Guide
- VA Special Employer Incentives for Hiring Veterans: Download - VA SEI Veterans Flyer
- WOTC VA Flyer
Military Skills Translator:
Where to Find Veterans
- Private sector effort to hire veterans – http://www.servicelocator.org/
- Locate veterans at an American Job Center near you –http://www.uschamberfoundation.org/form/hiring-500000-heroes
- Business Center at CareerOneStop – http://www.careeronestop.org/businesscenter/index.aspx
- Disabled American Veterans (DAV) – http://www.dav.org/
- The Army Women’s Foundation – http://www.awfdn.org/
Military Talent Hiring Guide
Bringing the Value of a Veteran to Your Workforce
Today’s businesses recognize the value of having veteran employees in their workforce. Finding, attracting, hiring, and retaining veterans is a skill that companies looking for the highest caliber employees simply must have. FMI has created a Military Talent Hiring Guide that teaches companies the basics of just how to do this. Contact FMI today to get your copy of our Military Talent Hiring Guide.
Learn how to Attract, Hire and Retain military talent
Discover the methods and benefits to hiring veterans
Improve your ability to interview and to understand veteran candidates
Learn how to approach and market to all branches of military service
Learn how to translate rank, pay-scale, and military job skills
Learn how to save with Veteran hiring tax credits